Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Classroom Management

Every teacher needs to be able to manage their classroom. Organization is an important component to this. Teachers should have an organized classroom, with an organized schedule. Students should be able to find a schedule somewhere in the classroom that lays out the day's activities. The teacher needs to be sure to make it clear to the students that she is the teacher. She is the one in charge of the class, not them. There should also be a place in the classroom where the class rules are posted, giving each student the opportunity to follow these rules. There should be consequences for breaking the rules and rewards for following them. Just because the rules are created for the students does not mean that the teacher should not have to follow them. If a teacher expects her students to treat each other with respect and to treat her with respect, then the students can expect to be treated with respect from the teacher.

They key to success in a classroom is proper management and organization. Students can help teachers with this by following whichever system(s) the teacher may have in place for the classroom. The teacher and her students should work together to create a positive working and learning environment for everyone. Everything in a classroom effects the next thing, so it is important that the teacher stays organized and on track with her own things, in addition to the progress of each student.

I remember when I was in high school, I took an advanced math class because I had always done very well in math. My teacher that year was a first time teacher in my town, but he had worked in a nearby town the year before. The reason he did not work in that other town anymore was because he got fired because he had no classroom management skills and did not teach his classes to the best of his ability. When he got to my school, the same thing happened. He would write something on the board, not explain it, and move on. He had no method for teaching or grading, he would not stay after with students, he did not go through the different methods in the book in order, and caused problems for many of the students. This was really frustrating to many students because it was extremely difficult to learn in his classroom and we basically had to teach everything to ourselves at home.

As a future teacher, I want to be able to have visuals all around my classroom for my students. I want to have a clean, organized classroom that creates a positive learning environment for each and every one of my students. I think that it would be a good idea to have a list of rules on the wall, and for each student to have some type of reward system for following the rules. I also think that it is important that I make myself available to my students and that I come to class prepared to answer questions that the students might have. Since everyone learns differently, I think that it is important to be able to assist each student in his or her own personal needs. There should be resources such as books and technology in the classroom for students to use, and the classroom should be inviting.

4 comments:

  1. I really liked this post! Classroom management is huge when it comes to being a teacher. I had two math teachers in high school just like the one you had. I learned nothing for math in high school and due to these horrible teachers I lost all of my math skills before entering college. I really like how you said classrooms should have a class schedule, I remember seeing these back in elementary school and comepletely forgot about them until reading your post. The schedules are a good way for students and the teacher to know what is expected of the day and to stay on track. Classroom rules are also important for the students to know what the teacher expects of them and what the students should expect from the teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked reading your post! I also think that classroom management plays a large role in having an effective classroom and being an effective teacher. I know I want a clean and organized classroom with classroom rules as well as rewards for good behavior. Being able to actually going through a lesson without as many interruptions allows students to learn and take in as much as they can within the time span given, rather than wasting time correcting bad behavior all day.
    I've had math teachers like yours in the past and I've also had really great teachers that take the time to explain the material and answer any questions until everyone understands. I think it all depends on the type of teacher in the classroom, and how they feel they need to control the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really great post Allie! You are right that classroom management is key! A clean, organized and decorated room provides a good learning environment. Also having students know what the class rules are and what is expected of them is very important. I think that making the class rules with the class is very effective because the students feel that the rules they created are fair and easy to follow. Being prepared is a skill that every successful teacher needs! I agree that as teachers we should be organized, ready to adjust lesson plans and always on our toes! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something for us to think about and always try to reflect upon is: How do we create a sense of management in a classroom yet also give students ownership? How do we assert that we are in charge yet allow students to take charge of things sometimes? It's a delicate balance- something for us to think about!

    ReplyDelete